The nurse approached him, smiling. “The labor is going great,”she said. “Wouldn’t you like to come in?”
“Oh, no.” The man shook his 1 .
The nurse 2 the mother’s side, and the labor progressed 3 . As the birth neared, the nurse returned to the man, now 4 frantically (烦躁地) in the hall. “She’s doing so well,”she 5 him. “Wouldn’t you like to at least come in and see her?”
The man seemed to 6 slightly, then shook his head again. “No, no, I couldn’t do that.” He jingled car keys in his sweaty 7 and restarted his pacing.
The nurse went back into the 8 and coached Mom’s great efforts in pushing the baby into the 9 . As the baby’s head began to appear, the nurse raced to the hall, 10 the man by his elbow, and 11 him to the bedside saying, “You have got to see this! ”
At that very moment, the baby boy was born 12 placed on the stomach of the mother whose happy smile 13 through her tears. The man began to 14 openly. Turning to the nurse, he sobbed. “You were right! This is the greatest 15 in my life! ”
By now, the nurse, too, was 16 . She put her arms around him, and he rested his 17 on her shoulder. She said, “No one should 18 the birth of their son.”
“This isn’t my son,” the man sobbed. “This isn’t 19 my wife. I’ve never seen her before in my life. I was just bringing the car 20 to my fellow across the hall! ”
1. A. handB. headC. armD. body
2. A. approachedB. returned toC. examinedD. stood by
3. A. smoothlyB. quicklyC. carefullyD. lately
4. A. waitingB. pacingC. lyingD. sleeping
5. A. warnedB. greetedC. examinedD. assured
6. A. smileB. waitC. hesitateD. suffer
7. A. pocketB. palmC. legD. face
8. A. roomB. hallC. officeD. house
9. A. worldB. bedC. armsD. pool
10. A. shookB. congratulatedC. grabbedD. welcomed
11. A. helpedB. ledC. movedD. dragged
12. A. soB. andC. butD. or
13. A. shoneB. hidC. gotD. went
14. A. laughB. smileC. shoutD. cry
15. A. dayB. placeC. momentD. baby
16. A. happyB. movedC. tearfulD. interested
17. A. handsB. headC. armsD. clothes
18. A. missB. watchC. giveD. have
19. A. evenB. ever C. stillD. yet
20. A. permitsB. seatsC. glassD. keys
参考答案177.BBABD CBAAC DBADC CBAAD
A lecturer was giving a lecture on stress management.He raised a glass of water and asked the audience，“ 36 heavy do you think this glass of water is?” The audience’s answers 3 7 from 20g to 500g.
It does not depend on its 38 .It depends on 39 you hold it.If I hold it for a minute，It is OK, If I hold it for an hour，I will have a(n) 40 in my right arm.If I hold it fot 41, you will have to call an ambulance.It is the exact same weight， 42 the longer I hold it，the 43 it becomes.
If we carry our burdens all the time， 44 ，we will not be able to catty on，the burden becoming 45 heavier. 46 you have to do is to put the glass down，rest for a while 47 holding it up again.
We have to 48 the burden from time to time.so that we can be refreshed and are 49 to carry on.So before you return home from 50 tonight，put the burden of work down.Don’t 51 it back home.You can 52 tomorrow. 53 burdens you are having now on your 54 ，let it down for a moment if you can.
Life is short， 55 it !
39.A.how farB.how longC.how soonD.how much
41.A.a yearB.a monthC.a dayD.a second
44.A.in no timeB.sooner or laterC，on timeD.first of all
48.A.put downB.write downC.note downD.push down
52.A.pick it upB.get rid of itC.carry it upD.put it out
36.D 37.A 38.C 39.B 40.D 41.C 42.C 43.C 44.B 45.C 46.B 47.C 48.A 49.B 50.C 51.C 52.A 53.D 54.B 55.C